Monday, July 25, 2011

Crockpot Apple Cobbler

Things have been so crazy around here lately. We have had so many medical issues going on and in the past few weeks have made multiple trips to the health department, pediatrician, and LeBonheur. It has been more than stressful on me and last week I finally hit my breaking point! There is only so much stress this woman can handle!

Hopefully we can see a light at the end of the tunnel. So that is why I haven't posted much lately...there hasn't been much of the "crafty" life lately, just the "crazy" life!

------------------------------

The other day, my husband was looking through a slow cooker cookbook and found all kinds of recipes he thought looked good and said we needed to try some. So there will hopefully be several of those coming up!

Last night we decided to try to apple cobbler. This was definitely a hubby decision to make. If you know anything about me, you should know that I am not a "fruity dessert" kind of person and you should know that I LOVE chocolate! And even more than just chocolate is chocolate and peanut butter! I truly believe there is no better combination of ingredients in the world than those!! And you should also know that my daughter apparently has a milk allergy.....and I am breastfeeding.....add those together and what do I get? No dairy! What does that mean for someone who has a love affair with all things dairy? It means no milk, no butter, no cheese, and NO CHOCOLATE! UGH!!! (I must really love this kid!)

When I found out about this, I seriously said to my husband, "Oh my goodness, what am I supposed to cook?" I think just about everything I cook has butter, milk or cheese in it. And any kind of dessert which is even worth my time usually has all three!!

So anyway, here we are trying to figure out (for now anyway) how to cook without dairy. Which brings me to the cobbler. It's super easy...

The most difficult part is peeling, coring and dicing 8 apples, which isn't difficult, just time consuming. And you should probably try not to cut off your fingers like I did! Yep not one, not two, but three fingers! DUH!!! Anyway, spray crock pot with cooking spray (this really helps in the cleanup!) Drop the apples in the crock pot, like so...


Mix the cereal and butter together. Pour all remaining ingredients in crock pot. It will look like this...


You could actually use less of the cereal and butter mixture. I think the "cobbler" is the best part so I use a lot! The recipe called for cereal with nuts and fruit bits, but we don't eat cereal like that and I wasn't going to buy some just to use a little bit in a recipe. Next time however, I will use some of the Just Bunches cereal instead. I think it would really add to the flavor. I cooked it on high for 2.5 hours. And it came out looking like this...

Close up, please...

I thought it was pretty good, you know for being a fruity dessert and no chocolate! It would have been even better with a nice big scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Crockpot Apple Cobbler

8 tart apples peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1-2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 Tbsp ground Cinnamon
Dash of Nutmeg
1/3 cup melted butter
3 cups Cereal mixed with fruit and nuts (or Just Bunches)

1. Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Mix cereal and butter.
2. Put apples in crockpot.
3. Add all other ingredients an stir.
4. Cover. Cook on low 6 hours or high 2-3 hours.

Hop you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment