Saturday, December 10, 2011

My New Role!

I have added a new role to the many roles I play on a regular basis.  I am a wife, mother, chef, craftster, blogger, playmate, friend, daughter, granddaughter, among many others!  Now I have added a new one...

Volleyball Coach! 

I have actually coached for 11 years (wow, that makes me feel old!), but I took the last two years off to have my babies.  This year after much discussion, my hubby and I decided I should go back to coaching.  He told me he knows I love it and I am good at it, and he could tell I missed it.  (Yes, he is a wonderful man!  And yes, he's taken!!)  

I am coaching at a competitive club that is made up of kids from all different schools from around the area.  We travel to tournaments and play some serious volleyball!  This isn't your high school P.E. stuff!  These girls are committed and work their behinds off!  Especially with me as their coach!  

We have just started practices, and I have to say I LOVE MY TEAM!  They are some awesome girls!  They are probably the goofiest team I have ever coached, but that's ok...they have loads of heart and are hard workers!  I wouldn't trade a single one of them for anything! 

Every year that I coach, I always start out the season with a team-building day.  We get together and just play.  No volleyballs, just fun!  It gives the girls a chance to get to know each other and it gives me a chance to get to know them.  It also teaches them how to work together.

I want to share some pictures from our team-building day.

We started out with the "Human Knot".  They stand in a circle and grab someone's hand across from them.  Then they try to untangle themselves without letting go.


Then we did some fun relay races.


In this one they had to drag their partner on a pillowcase.  It was awkward, but really funny to watch!




Next there were two teams and they had to build the tallest building using dry spaghetti and marshmallows! 


They are a very creative group!


It was very messy!  (Then they CLEANED UP!!)


Next they laid side-by-side and had to get one person across them.  It's a funny one to watch!


 This one they had to lift the entire team off the floor with only their hands touching the ground. 


This is the game that took the longest, but it is one of my favorites.  It's called Toxic River.  


They are told the blue area is a river that is toxic.  They have stones (paper) that they can use to get the whole team across the river, but there are fewer stones than there are people and the stones have rules...they have to be in contact with a person at all times and they cannot be slid across the floor-they can be placed down and picked back up, but no sliding.  If any of these things happen, the stones sink...aka I take it away, and they are left with the remaining stones to get across the river.  They can start over at any time and get all the stones back. 


This requires a lot of communication and problem solving.


They wanted to give up a few times, but they kept going and finally got the whole team across the toxic river!


 They were very excited!  That's my favorite part of the day...when they have worked really hard together and finally get it!


I am really looking forward to this season with these girls!  I know we are going to have some fun!



If you would like some more info about team-building games, leave me a comment, I have lots more of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment