Thursday, May 17, 2012

Frosting a Cake

I have frosted a lot of cakes!  One thing that drives me crazy is when I am frosting the bottom layer and I get the frosting all over the cake board.  When I finish, I try to wipe the excess off the board, but you can't get close enough to the cake and not mess up the icing that's already on the cake.  It's so frustrating!

So I came up with this idea and I LOVE it!  It works magically!

Get your cake board ready for the cake.  If you need to cover it, then do that first.


Get 4 or 5 thin pieces of wax paper (about 3 inches wide).  Lay them around edges of the cake board.  You want the paper to be covering where the edges of the cake will go, but not too far under the cake.  

Put a small amount of icing in the center of the cake board so the cake will stick.


Then lay your cake on the cake board. 


  Frost as you normally would. 


When you finish, all you do is GENTLY slide the wax paper out from under the cake.  I usually grab one corner and pull it out in a circular motion toward the other corner.  (Does that make sense?)  I don't pull it straight out because some of the icing on the cake tries to come too.  But if you do it at an angle, and slowly, it's not a problem. 

Now you should have a perfectly iced cake and a clean cake board! 

I hope this helps!  





No comments:

Post a Comment