Sunday, July 10, 2011

My First Time Sewing Clothes!


You know how when you are a kid, you basically just like everything your parents like, and dislike everything your parents dislike? For example, if your mom always says, "ugh, I hate ironing." Then you are going to grow up thinking that ironing is terrible! Or if your dad is a huge Memphis Tiger fan, then you most likely will also be a huge Tiger fan! (Thanks Dad!)

Well, when I was growing up my mom always told me how much she hated sewing. She would tell me about how her mom was an amazing seamstress, but that she definitely did not inherit the creative gene from her!

So I thought it was kind of funny when I was about 20 that I wanted to learn to knit. I had seen some people doing it, some things they had made and it interested me. I told one of my friends that I wanted to learn how to knit and that she had to learn too! I remember sitting at her apartment having her read the directions from a "learn to knit" book I bought. I went home that night and practiced and the next day I taught her how too!

Then all of a sudden I started thinking about sewing...And this little voice kept coming in my head saying, "No way, you hate sewing!" I mean if my mom hates it so much, how could I possibly like it? Right...right? (My mom and I are very much alike in a lot of ways)

The more I thought about it, and honestly the more I started looking at craft blogs where people would sew the cutest things, I started thinking I would enjoy it. I remember telling my mom I wanted to learn to sew. Let me just say she is always supportive of anything I want to do and she was about this too, but she definitely said, "Why on Earth would you want to do that?" Now she tells me how much I remind her of her mom, and how proud my Grandma would be of me! I didn't really get a chance to know my Grandma, so I think it's pretty cool that I share something with her, however much of a stretch it may be!

Anyway, I really decided to start sewing when I found out I was pregnant! What a better time to learn than when I am about to have a baby! And I had plans to make EVERYTHING for this child! Of course, that didn't happen, but I did make some stuff. Blankets, a fabric book, and even a diaper bag!!

I always told my mom and my husband that it's fun to sew, but I don't think I'll ever be able to make clothes. "That's hard!!"

Well, of course as time went on, I started thinking more and more about making clothes. So I decided to start small and make some pants for my son. I found some great fabric that I knew would make the cutest pants for him! I am not very good at following patterns, in fact, I have no idea how too! So I found a tutorial online here, read over it, then just decided to do it! I took a pair of his pants, laid them on top of the fabric and started cutting! The finished product looks pretty good, if I do say so myself!!


Here they are on my little man!


My cute little model had just gotten up from his nap...notice the bed head!


Yay! So proud of them! Now we just need somewhere to go that he can get dressed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment