Thursday, August 18, 2011

Crockpot Meatloaf



Can you tell I have been on a crock pot kick lately? Geez! It's kinda crazy! But my husband is loving it, so I guess that's good!

I love trying new recipes and finding new things that my husband loves...yes, I said "that my husband loves"....not things that I love. If I only cooked for me, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't cook very much. It's just too much work for just me! So I am always looking for new recipes that I think he will like. When I make them, if he doesn't like it then I throw it away. Or if he makes his little "weeellll...it's-not-terrible" face, then it is also thrown away or sometimes tweaked to make it better.

My husband is a country boy to the core! He is a steak and potatoes kind of guy. I have joked with him that he could have steak every day for the rest of his life and he would be perfectly happy! The sad part is every time I say that he smiles and says, "Yep!" (He's a man of many words!) Although if he has steak every day for the rest of his life, his life probably won't be that long! So I try to throw a few other things in there for him!

Now I have to say, I am not a big fan of meatloaf. Never have been, really. I'm not sure why. It's not that I hate it, or have had a bad experience, I don't think. I just can come up with other things that I would rather eat...like anything else!

For a while now my husband has been asking me to make meatloaf. I have put it off and put it off. There was one recipe he asked me to make that had bacon in it and I seriously could NOT even look at the pictures! It looked so nasty! I said, "Honey, please don't make me make that!" He didn't of course, but that made me feel kinda bad.

So I went in search of a meatloaf recipe that I could at least LOOK at!! I came across a recipe on Pinterest that sounded like a winner. I could look at it, it seemed easy, actually sounded like it might taste good, and best of all, I happened to have everything I needed in my kitchen already!

So I whipped this up and surprised my hubby when he got home!

All you need is 2 lbs of ground beef, 1 egg, 1 packet of onion soup mix, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of tomato soup.

Take the ground beef, egg, and onion soup mix in a bowl.


Mix them very well.



Spray crockpot with cooking spray.



Put meat mixture into crockpot.



Pour can of cream of mushroom soup on top and spread around a little.



Pour can of tomato soup on top of that and spread around.



Cook on high for 4 hours. (Or low for 8 hours.)



Cover and walk away.


Now is a good time to cut out those coupons you keep setting aside. Or work on some sewing. Or just catch up on some Housewives of New Jersey. It's a guilty pleasure! I want to be like Caroline!

Wait, I have gotten completely off subject!

We are talking about meatloaf here!!

And voila! You have a wonderful surprise for your husband!


I should have taken a picture of it after taking the meatloaf out of the crockpot, but we just served it from there. The soupiness was a little strange and honestly scared me a little, but it was really good!


We added a little ketchup to the individual servings and this was really good!


We had this with Mushroom Onion Potatoes...also made in the crockpot! It was an excellent dinner!

I asked Tommy if this would work when he was craving meatloaf and he said it would! Thank goodness!!


Crockpot Meatloaf

2 lb of ground beef
1 egg
1 packet of onion soup mix
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of tomato soup

In a separate bowl, thoroughly mix ground beef, egg, and onion soup mix. (It's best to use your hands!) Put meat mixture in a medium or large crockpot. Cover meat mixture with cream of mushroom soup and spread around. Pour in tomato soup and spread around. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment