Thursday, September 29, 2011

Spinach Artichoke Dip

My husband and I have this little Italian restaurant that we love.  They have the BEST spinach artichoke dip!  It is so cheesy and creamy!  And they serve it with freshly fried tortillas...they are SO good!  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

When we have date nights we usually end up at this place having some of this amazing dip! 

It's the kind of thing that every time we have it we make the "mmm" sounds and talk about how good it is.  I have often wondered if I could make something similar.  So I have been on a mission to try!

It is a very slow mission because if I make spinach artichoke dip very often, then I will eat it and end up weighing 500 pounds...and no one wants that to happen!

So a few weekends ago we had some friends over and I decided to make some.  After looking at several recipes online, this is what I came up with.  I thought it was good, but definitely not good enough. 

2 cans (14 oz) artichoke hearts, quartered 
1 8oz cream cheese block
1/3 cup sour cream 
1/4 cup mayo
1 cup spinach (1/2 of a frozen box)
shredded mozzarella cheese (handful + what you put on top)
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika
chili powder
soul seasoning

 You want the cream cheese softened.  Put room temperature cream cheese in the microwave for about 10 seconds to make really soft.  It's easier to mix in when it's really soft!


Put cream cheese in large bowl.

Give the artichokes a rough chop.  (Next time I will chop more.  Hubby didn't like the chunks.)


Put mayo in bowl.


I am going to have to teach my hubby how to take better pictures for the blog. You have to take really close up and make sure there is no junk behind it...that way you think my kitchen is always super clean!   Well, now you know the truth...Please excuse the mess!

Put sour cream in bowl. 


Add artichokes to bowl.


Thaw and drain 1 box of chopped spinach.  Add half of the box to your bowl.


Next add all your spices.
I added about a tablespoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, and soul seasoning.  And a few shakes of chili powder and paprika.


Mix well.


Add a big handful of shredded mozzarella cheese and mix well.


Spray baking dish with cooking spray and pour mixture in.


 Top with a little paprika.


 Add a little more shredded mozzarella cheese to the top and a little more paprika.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.

You can serve this on crackers, tortillas, chips, or whatever you want.  I got a french baguette and sliced it in small rounds.  

When you take the dip out of the oven, it will be extremely hot.  While it's cooling, put the bread rounds on a cookie sheet and put into oven for about 4 minutes (or until starting to get golden).  Take them out and turn them over.  The side that was down will be soft, so flip them and put them back in until that side gets a little golden.

 

This is what the dip looks like when it comes out!


So yummy!


 I think a good thing to add to this would be some Philadelphia Cooking Creme.  I like the Italian herb and cheese.  It would add good flavor and some more creaminess!


 These were excellent!


I still haven't found the recipe like the one at our favorite restaurant, but it's still really good!  

If you have a creamy, cheesy spinach artichoke dip recipe you think I should try, I want to see it!  Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment