Friday, March 2, 2012

Mexican Chicken Casserole

It has been a while since I posted any recipes, so I thought it was about time!  Truth be told, we haven't been cooking at home very much lately.  With volleyball, and my hubby traveling more, we tend to just make easy meals that probably wouldn't interest the blog world!

My dad is one of the followers of my blog.  He told me that one day he sat and read the entire thing all the way through.  Now he is hooked!  He likes seeing the kids, of course, and he tells me that I am creative, and all those wonderful things a good dad should say!  

Last weekend he was at my house and he said, "I read your blog the other day.  I tell you what...it's like going to the grocery store...you should never do it hungry!"

I thought that was too funny!  Thanks for the laugh Dad!

So in honor of my dad, I am going to show you a super easy recipe that tastes amazing! 


This is a Paula Deen recipe.  I made a few changes to make it a little more healthy and it still tasted great!

Start with a package of small tortillas, one can each - cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, and rotel.  You also need some shredded chicken.  I didn't have any on hand so I just used a can of chunk chicken breast.  Either way would be good.  You also need about a cup and a half of shredded cheddar cheese. (not pictured)

To make it healthier, I used the 98% fat free soups.


Pour all three cans of soup into a large bowl.


Add chicken.


Add rotel.


Mix everything together.


Spray a 9x13 dish with cooking spray.  I really like using the aluminum pans.  I know it's not very "Green", but I really like that I can just throw it away.  I don't use them all the time, just on days that it's been crazy in this house!  So don't judge me too bad!


Pour in enough of mixture to cover the bottom of the pan.  This layer is pretty thin.


I took two tortillas and tore them into four strips like this...


Then lay two whole tortillas on top of mixture, and two strips so you cover everything.


Put some more of the mixture on top of the tortillas.  You want a good layer, but not too thick.


Then more tortillas.  (I put the strips on the opposite side as I did on the first layer.)


You can make it with as many layers as you want.  I do three layers.  End with the mixture, then top with cheese. 


Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 mins.


And enjoy!!



I have also made a similar recipe with pasta.  I will post it soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment