Monday, August 29, 2011

Scotcheroos



One of the easiest things in the world to make is rice krispie treats. But the second easiest thing and the BEST thing to make is Scotcheroos!!

My mom used to make these for me and I would take them to school or on volleyball tournaments and they would be gone so fast because everyone loved them! I seriously can eat an entire pan of them...although I try not too!!

Some people have guest bloggers on their blogs, but I have a guest baker! My mom made these for me the same day she made the Sweet and Sour Chicken and I was just snapping away as she was working!

So here is how you make these wonderful treats!

Here is what you need:

1 cup sugar
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup white Karo syrup
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 pkg chocolate chips (12oz)
1 pkg butterscotch chips (12 oz)

Lay all the ingredients out on your beautiful counter...I LOVE my mom's counters! They are so pretty!!


In a large pan, melt sugar and Karo. Stir.


Let it bubble.



It helps to have one of these handy dandy little spoon holders! I discovered these babies at Bed, Bath and Beyond and I LOVE them! They clip on the side of any pot or pan and hold your spoon for you! Genius!


Add peanut butter.


Stir good.


Add Rice Krispies, stirring after each 2 cups.

Do this fairly quickly as the sugar-Karo-pb mixture will get very stiff.


Make sure everything is covered with the sugary-peanut buttery goodness.


Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

Pour mixture into pan.


Scrape the pan to make sure you don't leave any behind! That would be sad!


Spread mixture out into pan, but don't pack it down.


Pour chips into microwave safe bowl.


Microwave chips for 2 1/2 - 3 minutes, stirring after each minute.


Be careful, bowl gets very hot!

Keep stirring and microwaving.


Be careful not to over cook the chips. They will get hard and not spread well. Make sure they are smooth. When you stir, if you notice it getting a little thicker, just stop microwaving them and stir them really good. If everything is not melted it's ok. Most of it should be by now.

Pour mixture on top of Rice Krispie mixture.


Spread it around using the back of a spoon.


This is my mom's favorite part!! You gotta do something with that chocolate-butterscotch stuff that is stuck to the spoon...hmmm...might as well have a little taste!

YUM!!


Here is the finished product!



So pretty!


Let it harden then cut with a strong knife. (They can get pretty hard.)

----------------------

In all the years that my mom has been making these for me, we have never cut them until they were hardened. This time however, I asked my mom if maybe they would be easier to cut when they were still warm.

Not a good idea. They were very gooey, and didn't cut well at all. The chocolate mixture on top was very runny. They are very pretty when you cut them when they have gotten hard.

However, if you decide to try to cut them when they are still warm, then you will have to do something with the part that you cut. I suggest you put them on a plate.


And since they are on a plate, and you probably have a fork nearby, you should probably just go ahead and taste them.

Just be warned...
your eyes might roll back in your head and you may start speaking in tongues!


Seriously, in all these years I have never had them when they were warm, but OH MY GOODNESS....they were SOOOO sinfully good!

I still recommend letting them harden and cut them then, but if you just have to have a little taste, then it's ok! I won't judge you!

-----------------

Thanks Mom for making these for me! They were so yummy! Feel free to make them for me ANYTIME!!! But if you could figure out a way to make them calorie free that would be awesome!



1 comment:

  1. Just made these...I'll admit, I licked the spoon!! AND the bowl!! So, they were SUPER simple to make, and start to finish took no time! CANNOT wait for them to cool, so I can cut me a bite to try all together!!! They look so yummy!
    Jfalanga1013

    ReplyDelete